diy mold

When you are having mold problems in your home, it’s not just an eyesore. It can also be a matter of health and well-being. Mold can be poisonous and harmful and breeds quickly when you don’t get it under control.

With that said, many mold problems are entirely harmless, but still need to be addressed.

So how do you know whether to conduct some DIY mold work or call in a professional?

It depends on the circumstances. Below you’ll get a primer on when to do it yourself and when to call for help.

Go With DIY Mold Removal If the Issue is Minor

Sometimes mold starts growing when you’ve let water sit too long. If you’re seeing mold on the ceiling of your shower after letting it steam for a while, or under the bathroom sink due to that leak you put off, this is generally a DIY mold issue that you can handle with no problem.

Take a look at the mold and see if it seems like a common set of spores concentrated in one area. If it appears to be minor, you can fix it yourself with a little bit of TLC.

Grab a set of rubber or latex gloves so that you don’t irritate your skin by making contact with it. You may also want to get a mask to cover your nose and mouth.

Dilute some bleach in a bucket, or purchase a spray bottle mold solution that’ll get rid of it. When you scrub the area for a bit, you should quickly begin to see the mold go away. Be careful not to get any of the solution in your eyes, and avoid inhaling.

After it’s clean, scrub it down with some hot soap and water and let it air dry for a while. If you have a fan, set it up and aim it directly at the affected area so that it dries quickly and completely.

Get Professional Mold Removal If The Problem Is Severe or you Don’t Know How to Handle It

With that said, there are definitely some situations that call for professional mold removal instead.

Call up a mold professional if the mold is spread to large areas, or if it appears to be embedded deeply into walls or floorboards.

If the mold is black or an abnormal color, it may be a more serious and dangerous form of mold. Whenever it feels like you’re handling anything other than an easy cleaning, it’s better to call up a professional, rather than biting off more than you can chew.

Even if you have to put the mold remediation work on a credit card, it’s better than living with it and putting yourself at risk.

Call Up an Inspector to Know for Sure

If you are simply unsure, don’t even think twice about it — call up a mold contractor in your area.

Since these professionals are trained to address mold issues, they will be able to give you a definitive answer and then fix your mold problem on the spot. It’s better to get the help of a contractor so that your home and your health stay safe.

Handle All Your Mold Needs

When you’re deciding between DIY mold removal or professional remediation, always be wise and informed. Do some research and take pictures, and don’t hesitate to contact mold professionals.

For more tips and hints about home ownership, contact us or keep reading our blog posts.